IMPAIRMENT OF GOODWILL AND OTHER INDEFINITE-LIVED INTANGIBLE ASSETS
|9 Months Ended
Sep. 30, 2014
|Goodwill and Intangible Assets Disclosure [Abstract]
|IMPAIRMENT OF GOODWILL AND OTHER INDEFINITE-LIVED INTANGIBLE ASSETS
NOTE 2. IMPAIRMENT OF GOODWILL AND OTHER INDEFINITE-LIVED INTANGIBLE ASSETS
Approximately 69% of our total assets as of September 30, 2014 consist of indefinite-lived intangible assets, such as broadcast licenses, goodwill and mastheads, the value of which depends significantly upon the operating results of our businesses. In the case of our radio stations, we would not be able to operate the properties without the related FCC license for each property. Broadcast licenses are renewed with the FCC every eight years for a nominal cost that is expensed as incurred. We continually monitor our stations’ compliance with the various regulatory requirements. Historically, all of our broadcast licenses have been renewed at the end of their respective periods, and we expect that all broadcast licenses will continue to be renewed in the future. Accordingly, we consider our broadcast licenses to be indefinite-lived intangible assets in accordance with FASB ASC Topic 350, Intangibles – Goodwill and Other. Broadcast licenses account for approximately 94% of our indefinite-lived intangible assets. Goodwill and magazine mastheads account for the remaining 6%. We do not amortize goodwill or other indefinite-lived intangible assets, but rather test for impairment at least annually or more frequently if events or circumstances indicate that an asset may be impaired.
We complete our annual impairment tests in the fourth quarter of each year. We believe that our estimate of the value of our broadcast licenses, mastheads, and goodwill is a critical accounting estimate as the value is significant in relation to our total assets, and our estimates incorporate variables and assumptions that are based on past experiences and judgment about future operating performance of our markets and business segments. If actual future results are less favorable than the assumptions and estimates we used, we are subject to future impairment charges, the amount of which may be material. The fair value measurements for our indefinite-lived intangible assets use significant unobservable inputs that reflect our own assumptions about the estimates that market participants would use in measuring fair value including assumptions about risk. The unobservable inputs are defined in FASB ASC Topic 820 Fair Value Measurements and Disclosures as Level 3 inputs discussed in detail in Note 14 to our Condensed Consolidated Financial Statements. There were no indications of impairment present as of the period ending September 30, 2014.